The streaming service that is home to entertainment and sports content, Paramount+, is available in New Zealand. And if you want to watch it on Roku, you are adding more problems to the list.
Last year, I would have thought it was an impossible feat, but now I think differently that I have some information and tools that are of great help. Harnessed with this knowledge, I now know how to get Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand.
Let’s list our problems so I cannot get ahead of them and solve them step-by-step.
- Problem # 1: Get Paramount+ in New Zealand
- Problem # 2: Get Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand
- Problem # 3: Configure VPN on Roku
There will be no dilly-dallying as I proceed to get things sorted and watch Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand.
- How to Watch Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand: Quick Steps
- How to Set Up a US Roku Account in New Zealand?
- Set Up a VPN on Roku in New Zealand to Watch Paramount+
- How to Set Up VPN to Watch Paramount+ in New Zealand on Roku via Virtual Router
- How to Set Up VPN on Home Router to Watch Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand
- How Can I Watch Paramount+ on Older Roku Device?
- Roku TV Models Support Paramount+
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Watch Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand: Quick Steps
To get Paramount+ in New Zealand on Roku, follow these steps:
- Get a reliable VPN that supports Roku
- Get an American Roku account
- Set Up a VPN on Roku to Watch Paramount+
I decided to keep things aligned and go step-by-step. The first logical step is to find a VPN service that doesn’t end in a labyrinth kind of situation when integrating with Roku.
I was rather unfortunate; I had to try plenty and found ExpressVPN the most convenient. Consider this information a gift.
Later, I learned many renowned editorials like PC Mag, Tom’s Guide, Tech Radar, and Comparitech also recommend ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN is the preferred choice as it integrates with Roku easily owing to its Smart DNS and direct router setup feature.
Now that I have selected a VPN service, let’s proceed to get a Roku account.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
How to Set Up a US Roku Account in New Zealand?
To get Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand, follow these steps:
- Download and install a VPN application on a PC or desktop. I recommend ExpressVPN
- Initiate the application session and look for US servers.
- Turn off the device’s location.
- Open the browser and write https://my.roku.com/index
- Click Create Account on the next screen.
- Provide all the information prompted and click Continue
- Next, choose the payment method – PayPal or Credit Card, and click on Continue.
- Enter all information as prompted
- On the next page, you will be asked to enter the zip code.
- Enter US Zip codes such as 02110, 90003, and 43003.
- After you have provided all the information, you will get the Roku account.
- Reset the device, and log in using your Roku account.
- Search for Paramount+ and click to add the channel.
- After you have set up a US Roku account, add Paramount+, and connect Roku with a VPN to watch all the content in New Zealand.
Set Up a VPN on Roku in New Zealand to Watch Paramount+
You can set up a Roku device in three steps:
- Method # 1: Set up the virtual router using a laptop and connect with Roku – Recommended.
- Method # 2: Set up the VPN on the home router and connect with Roku.
- Method # 3: Smart DNS to use VPN with Roku – it doesn’t work with Roku devices after recent updates.
How to Set Up VPN to Watch Paramount+ in New Zealand on Roku via Virtual Router
Here’s how to set up a VPN and watch Paramount+ in New Zealand on Roku using a virtual router on a Windows laptop/PC:
- Download & install the VPN app on a Windows PC or laptop – I recommend ExpressVPN.
- On the taskbar, look for the internet connection; click Open Network & Internet Setting.
- Select Mobile Hotspot located on the left side and turn it on.
- Now click on Status and select Change Adaptor Options.
- On ExpressVPN, select Adaptor, right click and then select Properties.
- Check to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection. You will find this option on the ‘Sharing’ tab.
- Select the hotspot connection in the drop-down menu.
- Click Ok
- A new hotspot is created.
- Next, open the VPN application on Windows Laptop and connect the US servers.
- On the Roku device, click Network > Set up Connection > Wireless
- Connect the hotspot connection using a Windows device
As soon your device is connected to the internet, go to Paramount+ and start streaming from your home in New Zealand.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
ExpressVPN and NordVPN do not have PPTP & L2TP – IP Sec protocol. The reason they lose the feature is due to its weak security and vulnerability in virtual routers.
However, PrivateVPN is a great option to set up a virtual router on a Mac device to watch Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand.
How to set up a VPN to watch Paramount+ in New Zealand on Roku using the virtual router on a Mac laptop/PC:
- Download and install the VPN application on the Mac device.
- PrivateVPN works best due to its setting and supports the integration.
- Proceed to the PrivateVPN website and click on My Account, available on the top menu.
- On the next page, enter the email address and password.
- Subscribe and click Sign in
- Next, click Manual Config > PPTP & L2TP – IP sec
- You will find the server locations, username, and password
- On the Mac device, select Apple Menu > System Settings > VPN. VPN is on the sidebar; scroll down a little to find it.
- Click to Add VPN Configuration and select L2TP over IP sec
- On the next page, you will be prompted to enter some information:
Display Name: PrivateVPN Router
Server Address: On the PrivateVPN website, copy the US server address and paste it.
Account name: On the PrivateVPN website, copy Username and paste.
User Authentication: On the PrivateVPN website, copy the password and paste it.
Shared Secret: 123456789
- Click on Option and check the box for sending all traffic over the VPN connection.
- Select Create
- Connect to the VPN connection you just created for the Roku device.
- Sign in with US Roku details and log in to watch Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand.
How to Set Up VPN on Home Router to Watch Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand
I used ExpressVPN for this step. If you happen to have Linksys, Asus, or Netgear, you can use the guide below to install ExpressVPN and get Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand:
For Linksys Router:
For Asus Router:
For Netgear Router:
For Manual Router Configuration:
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Paramount+ on Roku
Paramount+ is not available outside America. Due to copyright and licensing agreements, it is restricted to the United States only.
But there is another easy way to get it: have a US IP address. You may wonder how one can have a US IP address when in New Zealand. Well, our answer is one magic word – VPN!
VPN cloaks the IP address and makes it appear as a new IP address, which is acceptable for US servers. As you connect the router or create a virtual router, you can set the location to USA. Now, your Kiwi IP address is an acceptable US IP address to access Paramount+.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
How Can I Watch Paramount+ on Older Roku Device?
With the Paramount+ new updates, certain old Roku devices become incompatible with watching Paramount+.
You would need to have the Roku OS updated to the newer versions to watch Paramount Plus in NZ.
Compatible Roku Devices for Paramount+
- Roku 2, 3, and 4 (some versions of Roku 2 are supported; check the list of unsupported devices)
- Ultra and Ultra LT
- Roku LT & HD (some versions of Roku LT and Roku HD are supported; check the list of unsupported devices)
- Roku Streaming Stick 3500x, 3600x, and later
- Roku Ultra
- Roku Premiere and Premiere+
- Roku Express and Express+
- Roku TV
- 4k Roku TV
Non-compatible Roku Devices for Paramount+
- Roku LT 2400X, 2450X
- Roku HD 2500X
- Roku 2 HD 3000X
- Roku 2 XD 3050X
- Roku 2 XS 3100X
- Roku Streaming Stick 3400X, 3420X
Roku TV Models Support Paramount+
- Fire TV
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the monthly cost of Paramount+ on Roku?
These are the plans for Paramount+:
- Essential: 5.99 USD
- Paramount+ with Showtime: 11.99 USD
Why can’t I use Paramount+ on my Roku?
Roku might not work with Paramount+ if you are using an older version. Check the compatibility and model number.
How to get Paramount+ free on Roku?
You can use the 7-day free trial of Paramount+ on the Roku channel. Go to https://therokuchannel.roku.com
What can you watch on Paramount+ subscription?
You can watch MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET, CBS, Smithsonian Channel, and Paramount+ Originals. You can watch sports content such as NFL on CBS, UEFA Champions League, College Football, The Masters, March Madness, SHOWTIME, and PGA Tour with Paramount+ with SHOWTIME plan.
Roku is the perfect entertainment hub to manage all the digital content. You can watch from sports to news, movies, series, documentaries and whatnot.
Moreover, you can have all your subscribed streaming services on Roku. But if you live in New Zealand and wish to access Paramount+, you have a few hoops to jump and sort the settings.
First, you need to sort the IP address problem, which can be done by subscribing to a reliable VPN. Then, there are some settings you must change in your device to get Paramount+ on Roku in New Zealand.