It is widespread for users to add Hulu to their Roku devices. The process isn’t simple and requires some jargon, especially when you are in New Zealand and need unique input from a VPN.
Due to copyright and geo-restrictions, Hulu is not available in New Zealand. And unlike getting Hulu in New Zealand on iPhone/iPad, Android, and Amazon Firestick/Fire TV, getting Hulu on Roku requires a totally different setup since it does not support VPN.
But don’t worry; here, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions to get Hulu on Roku in New Zealand.
So, without any further delay, let’s dive in.
How to Watch Hulu on Roku in New Zealand │ Quick Steps
To get Hulu in New Zealand on Roku, you need the following things:
- A reliable VPN that supports Roku
- American Roku account
- Set Up VPN on Roku to Watch Hulu
We tested the best VPNs recommended by the most reputable websites like TechRadar, TechCrunch, Tom’s Guide, Comparitech, and PC Mag to find the best VPN to get Hulu on Roku in New Zealand. And after testing, we find ExpressVPN the best among all due to its exceptional support for Roku devices through virtual router setup, smart DNS, or direct router setup.
Once you subscribe to a VPN, it’s time to create a US Roku account.
How to Set Up a US Roku Account in New Zealand?
Here’s how you can set up a US Roku Account in New Zealand:
- Download a VPN app on your Desktop/PC and connect to a US server – We used ExpressVPN.
- Now make sure your location is off.
- Open the browser and head to https://my.roku.com/index and click on ‘Create account’.
- Provide all the required information and click “Continue.”
- Now select your desired payment option (i.e. PayPal or Credit Card) and click “Continue.”
- The website will ask you to enter a US zip code. You can always search the internet for US zip codes that seem like 90001,02110, and 43003.
- Congratulations, your US Roku account is set up now.
- Now reset your Roku device and log in with your US Roku account.
- Search for Hulu and click Add channel.
Once you set up a US Roku account and add the Hulu channel, let’s see how to connect your Roku TV with VPN to watch in New Zealand.
Set Up VPN on Roku in New Zealand to Watch Hulu
Luckily, there are three ways to set up VPN on a Roku device:
- Set up a Virtual Router using your PC/Laptop and connect with Roku – Recommended
- Set up VPN on your home router and connect with Roku.
- Use Smart DNS to use VPN with Roku. (No longer work with Roku devices).
How to Set Up VPN to Watch Hulu in New Zealand on Roku via Virtual Router?
Here’s how to set up a VPN to watch Hulu in New Zealand on Roku via a virtual router using your Windows laptop/PC:
- Download the VPN app on your Windows laptop/PC – We used ExpressVPN.
- Now click on the internet connection icon located in the taskbar and then click on “Open Network & Internet Settings.”
- Click on the “Mobile Hotspot” option located on the left side and turn it on.
- Now click on “Status” and then “Change adaptor options.”
- Right-click on “ExpressVPN Tap Adaptor” and then click on “Properties”.
- Check the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” on the Sharing tab.
- Now select the hotspot connection that you just created from the dropdown menu and click “OK”.
- Your hotspot connection is created.
- Now open the VPN app on your Windows Laptop/PC and connect to the US server.
- Open your Roku device, go to “Network” → “Set up connection” → “Wireless”.
- Now select the Hotspot connection you just created using your Windows device.
- Once your device is connected to the internet, go to the Hulu channel and start streaming in New Zealand.
Unfortunately, ExpressVPN and NordVPN no longer offer PPTP & L2TP – IP Sec protocol due to the weak security that is required to set up a virtual router. You can try PrivateVPN to set up a virtual router on your Mac to watch Hulu on Roku in New Zealand
Here’s how to set up a VPN to watch Hulu in New Zealand on Roku via a virtual router using your Mac laptop/PC:
- Download the VPN app on your Mac device – We used PrivateVPN.
- Now head to the PrivateVPN website and click on “My Account” located at the top menu.
- Enter your email and password that you used to subscribe to PrivateVPN and then click on “Sign in”.
- Now click on “Manual Config” then select “PPTP & L2TP – IPsec”
- You will see the username and password and server locations.
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click VPN in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
- Now click on “Add VPN Configuration” and select “L2TP over IPsec”.
- Enter the following information:
- Display Name: PrivateVPN Virtual Router
- Configuration: Default
- Server Address: return to the PrivateVPN website and copy any US server address and paste it.
- Account Name: copy the username from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
- User Authentication: copy the password from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
- Shared Secret: 12345678
- Now click on the “Option” and turn on the box that says “Send all traffic over VPN connection.”
- Click on the “Create” button.
- Now connect to the VPN connection that you just created with your Roku device.
- Sign Up with your US Roku account and watch Hulu on Roku in New Zealand.
How to Set Up VPN on Home Router to Watch Hulu on Roku in New Zealand?
For this whole process, we have used ExpressVPN. If you have an Asus, Linksys, or Netgear, you can use the following guides to install ExpressVPN on your home router to get Hulu on Roku in New Zealand:
For Linksys Routers:
For Asus Routers:
For Netgear Routers:
For Manual Router Configuration:
Why Do You Need VPN to Watch Hulu on Roku
The services of Hulu are not available in any other country outside the USA and Japan due to content licensing and copyright agreements.
Because of these geo-blocking issues, you need to change your local country address to the country IP address where the streaming service is available.
And this can be easily done with the help of a VPN. A VPN or Virtual Private Network can mask your local IP address and change with the country’s IP address of your choice.
So, when we connect our router or create a virtual router and set our location to the US using a VPN, it masks your New Zealand IP and changes it with American IP.
Thereafter, when you connect your Roku device with your home router or virtual router to watch Hulu, it directs your traffic through a US IP address and allows streaming your favorite shows and movies in New Zealand.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
How Can I Watch Hulu on Older Device?
Some old Roku devices aren’t compatible with Hulu. Hence, ensure your device is updated to version 11 or higher.
The streaming video player Roku in models 2400 – 3100 and Roku Stick in models 3420 or above. Similarly, the device compatibility differs if you plan to get Live TV or other add-ons.
Compatible Roku Devices for Hulu
Here is a list of Roku devices compatible with Hulu:
- Roku 1
- Roku 2
- Roku 3
- Roku 4
- Roku Express
- Roku Express +
- 4K Roku Ultra
- 4K Roku Ultra LT
- Roku LT 2700X
- 4K Roku Streaming Stick
- 4K Roku Streaming Stick+
- 4K Roku Smart Speaker
- 4K Roku Premier
- 4K Roku Premier+
Non-compatible Roku Devices for Hulu
Here is a list of Roku devices not compatible with Hulu:
- XRoku Streaming Stick – model 3400X and 3420X
- Roku LT – model 2400 and 2450X
- Roku 2 XS – model 3100X
- Roku 2 HD – models 3000X and 3050
- Roku HD – model 2500X
Roku TV Models Support Hulu
- Android Devices
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the monthly cost of Hulu on Roku?
There are three basic plans:
- Hulu (no-ads) – 20.36 NZD, 12.99 USD
- Hulu + LiveTV now with Disney+ & ESPN+ – 109.68 NZD, 69.99 USD
- Hulu + LiveTV now with Disney+ & ESPN+ (no-ads) – 119.09 NZD, 75.99 USD
Why can’t I use Hulu on my Roku?
You should check if your Roku device is compatible with Hulu. Old Roku devices tend to have a problem getting Hulu.
Can I get Hulu on Roku in New Zealand?
You can get Hulu on Roku in New Zealand. You only have to be mindful of Roku models since, with a new update for Hulu, all older devices like Roku streaming stick model 3420 and Roku streaming player model 2400 to 3100 become unviable.
Roku is a great device that brings ease and variety to your content game. You get numerous channels like TV, sports, news, movies, and so much more.
Integrating Hulu with Roku can sometimes get trickier. Hence we have tackled all the big questions and problems that may come your way.
Once sorted, it can be the perfect application to have all your streaming services in one place and much more.