Roku is the best thing that happened to us after the cord-cutting. It manages all your streaming services, and you can customize your streaming experience. You may wonder how to get HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand because HBO Max is not available in New Zealand.
Several steps are involved in sorting out the problem of getting HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand. We will discuss each step in detail so that you will understand how to get HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand by the end of this read.
Let’s see if we are on the same page. The problems we face in getting HBO Max on Roku begin with accessing HBO Max in New Zealand. Then comes the part where creating a Roku account in New Zealand becomes difficult as integrating HBO Max on Roku.
Shall we begin? Sit tight because we will unravel all knots.
- How to Watch HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand | Quick Steps
- How to Set Up US Roku Account in New Zealand?
- Set Up VPN on Roku in New Zealand to Watch HBO Max
- Why Do You Need VPN to Watch HBO Max on Roku
- How Can I Watch HBO Max on Older Device?
- Compatible Roku Devices for HBO Max
- Non-compatible Roku Devices for HBO Max
- Roku TV Models Support HBO Max
- HBO Max Not Working on Roku
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand | Quick Steps
To watch HBO Max on Roku, we need to sort these problems in three simple steps:
- Get a VPN
- Create Roku Account
- Set up HBO Max on Roku
We have been constantly on the ground to solve this problem. After constant trying and testing, we find ExpressVPN is the best VPN. The service has also received nods at PC Mag, Tom’s Guide, Tech Crunch, and Tech Radar.
The service has advanced virtual router setup, Smart DNS technology, and great unblocking capabilities. After subscribing to the VPN, you can create a Roku account.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
How to Set Up US Roku Account in New Zealand?
Follow these steps to create a US Roku account:
- Download a VPN application. We recommend ExpressVPN
- Turn off the location on your device
- Type https://my.roku.com/index in the browser
- Click Create Account
- Select the preferred payment method on the payment page – PayPal or Credit Card.
- Next, you will be asked to enter a US zip code. You can use 90001, 72959 or 81658
- Now recent, the Roku device completed and ran all changes
- Search for HBO Max in the list of channels and click on Add channel
After you have finished these steps, the next step is to connect your Roku TV with VPN. You are closer to getting HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
Set Up VPN on Roku in New Zealand to Watch HBO Max
There are three methods:
- By setting up a virtual router using a Laptop/PC to connect with Roku – we recommend the method.
- By setting up the home router and connecting it to Roku
- By using Smart DNS to integrate VPN with Roku – it doesn’t work with the latest devices
How to Set Up VPN to Watch HBO Max in New Zealand on Roku via Virtual Router?
You can set up a VPN to watch HBO Max in New Zealand on Roku via a virtual router using your Windows laptop/PC:
- Download the VPN application on your laptop/PC – We use ExpressVPN.
- Click on the internet connection icon. You can locate it on the taskbar and click “Open Network & Internet Settings.”
- Click on “Mobile Hotspot.” The option can be found on the left side. Turn it on.
- Next, select “Status” and “Change adaptor options.”
- Right-click on “ExpressVPN Tap Adaptor” and then select “Properties”.
- Check the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.” It can be found on the Sharing tab.
- Next, select the hotspot connection that you just created from the dropdown menu. Click “OK.”
- A hotspot connection is now created.
- Then open the VPN application on Windows Laptop/PC and connect to the US server.
- Open the Roku device; go to “Network” > “Set up connection” > “Wireless.”
- Select the Hotspot connection you created using your Windows device.
After the device is connected to the internet, go to the HBO Max channel and start streaming in New Zealand.
As of late, ExpressVPN and NordVPN don’t offer PPTP & L2TP – IP Sec protocol. It has weak security that is required to set up a virtual router. However, you can try PrivateVPN to set up a virtual router on the Mac to watch HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand.
You can set up a VPN to watch HBO Max in New Zealand on Roku via a virtual router using your Mac laptop/PC:
- Download the VPN application on the Mac device – We used PrivateVPN.
- Now proceed to the PrivateVPN website and click on “My Account.” You can locate it at the top menu.
- Enter the email and password you have used in subscribing to PrivateVPN.
- Click on “Sign in.”
- Next click on “Manual Config” > “PPTP & L2TP – IPsec”
- Several usernames, passwords, and server locations will appear.
- Choose Apple menu > System Settings > VPN on the Mac in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
- Next, click on “Add VPN Configuration” > “L2TP over IPsec”.
Enter the following information:
- Display Name: PrivateVPN Virtual Router
- Configuration: Default
- Server Address: Return to the PrivateVPN website, copy any US server address, and paste it.
- Account Name: Copy the username from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
- User Authentication: Copy the password from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
- Shared Secret: 12345678
- Now click on the “Option” and check the box that says “Send all traffic over VPN connection.”
- Click on the “Create” button.
- Connect to the VPN connection you just created with your Roku device.
Now you can sign up with your US Roku account and watch HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand.
How to Set Up VPN on Home Router to Watch HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand?
For the process, we have used ExpressVPN. If you are using Asus, Linksys, or Netgear, you can use these guides to install ExpressVPN on your home router to get HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand:
For Linksys Routers:
For Asus Routers:
For Netgear Routers:
For Manual Router Configuration:
Why Do You Need VPN to Watch HBO Max on Roku
The services of HBO Max are not available in any other country besides the USA and Japan. The copyright agreements and licensing bodies restrict the service in these countries.
Due to geo-blocking, you may need to change the IP address from country of residence to country acceptable for HBO Max. In this scenario, our best bet is the US IP address because the US has a comprehensive content library.
VPN has been created for this intention. The tool smartly cloaks the IP address and assigns an acceptable IP address to access the website; otherwise geo-restricted.
Later when you connect the Roku device to your home router or virtual router to stream HBO Max, it directs the traffic through the US IP address and allows streaming of your favorite shows and movies in New Zealand.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
How Can I Watch HBO Max on Older Device?
Older versions of Roku devices pose a problem. Currently, Roku works with HBO Max on version 11 and later. Similarly, Roku Video Player model 2400-3100 and Roku Stick model 3402 or above work differently with the new update.
If you opt for add-ons and other OTT services, you need to check the details of ad versions.
Compatible Roku Devices for HBO Max
Roku OS 10 and later are compatible with HBO Max. If your device has upgraded OS, then it works fine. Otherwise, you can always check for the update and version in the settings. Here is the list of Roku devices with models scheduled for an OS 10 update:
- Roku 1 – Model #2710X
- Roku 2 – Model #4210X, 2720X
- Roku 3 – Model #4230X, 4200X
- Roku 4 – Model # 4400X
- Roku Express – Model # 3930X, 3900X, 3700X
- Roku Express 4K – Model # 3940X
- Roku Express 4K+ – Model # 3941X
- Roku Express+ – Model # 3931X, 3910X, 3710X
- Roku LT – Model # 2700X
- Roku Premiere – Model # 4620X, 3920X
- Roku Premiere+ – Model # 4630X, 3921X
- Roku Smart Soundbar – Model # 9101X, 9100X
- Roku Streamer – Model # 9102X
- Roku Streaming Stick – Model # 3800X, 3600X, 3500X
- Roku Streaming Stick+ – Model # 3811X, 3810X
- Roku Ultra – Model # 4800X, 4670X, 4661X, 4660X, 4640X
- Roku Ultra LT – Model # 4662X
- Roku TV – All models supported
Non-compatible Roku Devices for HBO Max
Devices that do not upgrade to OS 10 are incompatible with HBO Max. You can refer to the Roku website for anticipated updates for the device you already have.
Roku TV Models Support HBO Max
- Android Devices
HBO Max Not Working on Roku
HBO Max often persistently refuses to integrate with Roku, leaving us exasperated. Here is some troubleshooting to run to see what went wrong in the process:
- Check your internet connection. It sounds cliche, but slow internet may bring the service down to connect with Roku. You can use several speed tests available on the internet to get your results in seconds.
- Update Roku device. There may be a new update available, which hampers the connection.
- Restart the Roku device. If you shuffled some settings, restarted the router, or changed Roku settings.
- Verify with the Down Detector. The detector will configure what could be the reason for HBO Max not working on Roku. Look up user reports on DownDetector.com’s service status.
- Change HBO Max password. It may sound utterly absurd, but this solution has helped many users. Change the password in the browser and restart the device.
- Delete Cache. The cache from when the internet was down could be slowing the device. You can also remove the channel from the main menu, restart the device and add the channel again for better speed.
- When nothing works, it calls for a factory reset!
We understand factory reset seems like a lot of work, but chances are, the problem will resolve with solutions 1-6. If not, we wish you all the best. Sometimes clean slate is what we all want!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the monthly cost of HBO Max on Roku?
There are two plans:
- HBO Max ad-supported for 9.99 USD, 16.20 NZD per month – 99 USD, 160 NZD yearly
- HBO Max ad-free for 15.99 USD, 26 NZD per month – 149.99 USD, 243 NZD yearly
Why can’t I use HBO Max on my Roku?
Check if your Roku device is compatible with HBO Max. Old Roku devices encounter problems getting HBO Max.
Can I get HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand?
You can get HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand. But it’s best to check the compatible Roku models since, with a new update for HBO Max, some older devices aren’t working.
Roku is a great device and entertainment center that allows you to manage the channels and stay on top of new releases.
However, integrating Roku with HBO Max may sometimes be difficult, depending on OS and device. We have addressed most questions and discussed how to configure settings in detail.
If you follow these steps, you will figure out how to get HBO Max on Roku in New Zealand.