Why would anything be in your way to get Roku or BBC iPlayer? It’s frustrating if you cannot figure out how to get BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand.
Yes, it is a loaded query, and the answer is one way, long road! We have the answers to all your problems. We can sort out how to get BBC iPlayer in New Zealand, and we can help you configure BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand.
It requires you to follow all the steps we mention below. If you do not lose your cool and follow all the instructions to the T, you will have this sorted quickly. And you will also unlock this anomaly, how to get BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand.
Get ready because things will start becoming easy, and you will have a lot of new content to watch.
- How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand | Quick Steps
- How to Set Up Roku Account in New Zealand?
- Set Up VPN on Roku in New Zealand to Watch BBC iPlayer
- How to Set Up VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku via Virtual Router
- How to Set Up VPN on Home Router to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand?
- Why Do You Need VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku?
- How Can I Watch BBC iPlayer on Older Device?
- Roku TV Models Support BBC iPlayer
- Why is BBC iPlayer Not Working on Roku
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand | Quick Steps
It is a three-step method:
- You would be required to get a VPN plan
- Create a Roku account
- Then configure BBC iPlayer on Roku
We have done this before so you can trust us with the process. We have tried and tested several services and applications, and we like ExpressVPN the best among the rest. The service is lauded on platforms such as Tom’s Guide, Tech Radar, PC Mag, and Tech Crunch.
It has smart DNS technology, which is great for virtual router setup, adaptability to various software formats, and great security. We recommend you subscribe to the service so we can proceed to set up a Roku account.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
How to Set Up Roku Account in New Zealand?
To set up Roku without any hiccups, follow these steps:
- Download and install the VPN application. We recommend ExpressVPN
- Go to your device’s settings and tear off the location
- Now go to the browser and type: https://my.roku.com/index
- Create your account
- Choose your preferred payment method. There are options for credit cards and PayPal.
- On the next page, you will be asked for a UK postcode/zip code. You can get any zip code from this website.
- Save all changes and restart the device
- Look for BBC iPlayer in the list of channels.
- Click on BBC iPlayer to add it to your list of channels.
After you have finished installing the application, we need to set up Roku TV with VPN.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
Set Up VPN on Roku in New Zealand to Watch BBC iPlayer
There are three ways to do this:
- Setting up the virtual router using pc/laptop – we recommend this method
- Setting up the home router and integrating with Roku – this is doable
- Setting up Smart DNS to integrate VPN with Roku – this is obsolete on various new devices
How to Set Up VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku via Virtual Router
This is the easiest and most recommended method to set up Roku on a virtual router to watch BBC iPlayer in New Zealand using a laptop or PC.
Here is how you can do it:
- First, you need a VPN application on your laptop or PC. We will use ExpressVPN for ease.
- Go to Internet settings, and look for Open Network & Internet Settings.
- Look for Mobile Hotspot. Click on it to turn it on.
- Next, select Status, and then Change Adaptor Options.
- On ExpressVPN, Tap Adaptor and select Properties.
- Next, Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection. Check the box to select this option.
- Select the hotspot connection you created in the dropdown menu, and click Ok.
- You will find the new hotspot connection.
- Proceed to initiate the VPN application on your device.
- Initiate the Roku device, and go to network settings. Network > set up connection > Wireless.
- Click on the hotspot connection you created on your device.
Once the device is connected to the internet, proceed to BBC iPlayer and stream the service for the content you long for.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
With recent updates, NordVPN and ExpressVPN do not have L2TP & PPTP, IP security protocols. These are weak protocols and crucial for virtual router setup. Nevertheless, PrivateVPN has been set up to configure a virtual router on Mac and watch BBC iPlayer on Roku.
Here is how you can set up VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in New Zealand on Roku using a virtual router on your Mac PC or laptop:
- Download and install the VPN application. PrivateVPN works with us.
- On the PrivateVPN website, go to My Account. It is on the top menu.
- Log in using your credentials and sign in.
- Click on Manual Config > PPTP & L2TP – IPsec
- Username, password, and server location will emerge
- Click on Apple Menu > System Settings > VPN. If you scroll down, you will find it.
- Next, select add VPN configuration > L2TP over IPsec
- On the next screen, you will see you need to insert some information:
Display Name: PrivateVPN Virtual Router
Server Address: Return to the PrivateVPN website, copy any UK server address, and paste it.
Account Name: Copy the username from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
User Authentication: Copy the password from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
Shared Secret: 12345678
- Click on the “Option” and check the box “Send all traffic over VPN connection.“
- Click on the “Create” button.
- Connect to the VPN connection you just created with your Roku device.
Now you can sign up with your UK Roku account and watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand.
How to Set Up VPN on Home Router to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand?
For this setup, we have used ExpressVPN. In case you are using Asus, Linksys, or Netgear, you can use these guides to install ExpressVPN on the home router to get BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand:
For Linksys Routers:
For Asus Routers:
For Netgear Routers:
For Manual Router Configuration:
Why Do You Need VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku?
BCC iPlayer’s service reins only in the UK, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, or other English regions. Due to copyright and licenses, the content of BBC iPlayer is limited to these regions.
So if you are a Brit ex-pat or traveling in New Zealand, you cannot just log in on BBC iPlayer’s streaming service. It is all due to the IP address. The entry to the service and website is recognized from an IP address.
You get no entry to the service when you access any website with a Kiwi IP address. The website only lets the Brit IP address on the service. This is when we need to change the IP address. A VPN can help us do that. Hence we aim to change the IP address and make it appear as a brit IP address.
Once this giant hurdle is crossed, you can access BBC iPlayer from your home in New Zealand with a changed IP address.
Offers 30-day money-back guarantee!
How Can I Watch BBC iPlayer on Older Device?
Roku’s older devices are not compatible with a recent version of BBC iPlayer applications. Roku devices with OS 9.3 and later would work fine to install the BBC iPlayer application.
If you are using the right version of the app and device, there will be no buffering and freezing during the service.
Compatible Roku Devices for BBC iPlayer
Roku device with OS 9.3 will work fine with BBC iPlayer. Ensure your device is upgraded to OS 9.3 to enjoy continuous, glitch-free service. Here is the list of devices that would work with OS 9.3:
- Set-top box 2015 – Model 4200SK
- Set-top box 2016 – Model 4500SK
- Set-top box 2017 – Model 3810EU
- Roku Power SKY 2017 – 3810UK
- Streamer 2017 – 3810X
- Streamer 2017 – 3910X
- Streamer 2017 – 3910RW
- Streamer 2017 – 3910MX
- Streamer 2017 – 3900X
- Streamer 2017 – 3900RW
- Streamer 2017 – 4631UK
- Streamer 2017 – 4630X
- Streamer 2018 – 3801UK
- Streamer 2018 – 4630UK
- Streamer 2018 – 3920EU
- Streamer 2018 – 4631UK
- Streamer 2019 – 3930UK
- Streamer 2019 – C218GB
- Streamer 2019 – C219GB
Non-compatible Roku Devices for BBC iPlayer
Devices that do not upgrade to OS 9.3 are incompatible with BBC iPlayer. You can check the Roku website for upcoming updates for the device.
Roku TV Models Support BBC iPlayer
- Android Devices
Why is BBC iPlayer Not Working on Roku
It often happens that BBC iPlayer is not working on Roku. Several small things could be the reason why BBC iPlayer is not working on Roku:
- Internet could be slow; check if the connection has good speed. Only a good internet connection can enable you to stream the application. You can use one of the websites to test and check the internet speed.
- Updates updates! This is one of the reasons why apps suddenly act out of sorts. Your device does not install the patches and updates when a new update rolls out because of settings. Ensure that your device installs the new updates automatically; otherwise, you can do it manually.
- Restart: this may sound immature, but sometimes a simple restarting of the device solves all problems.
- Delete those caches: sometimes, when the internet is down, those caches could be the reason Roku is not working now. By deleting the caches, you can resolve the problem.
- Lastly: when nothing works, a factory reset helps. It should not be a routine thing, though.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cost of a BBC iPlayer subscription?
BBC iPlayer is free to use service in the UK. You can get other services like BBC One, BBC News, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, and Radio One if you connect using brit IP address.
Why can’t I use BBC iPlayer on Roku?
To stream BBC iPlayer on Roku, you must have the latest version of the application and the working OS of Roku for the application. Everything is explained in detail in the blog.
How to update my Roku device to get BBC iPlayer?
To get BBC iPlayer on a Roku device, follow these steps to update:
- Press Home button
- Go to Settings
- Click on System > System Updates
- Select Download if there are new updates available
Why is BBC iPlayer not available on my Roku in New Zealand?
BBC iPlayer is available for users residing in the UK. They have a UK IP address, which enables them to watch the service in the country. When outside the UK, you can buy a plan for a reliable VPN service to change your IP address and watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand.
What are the service charges for BBC Select?
BBC Select is 4.99 USD and 8.05 NZD per month. You can also subscribe to the seven-day free trial to test the services and content library.
Roku is an important entertainment center in many homes. It helps you manage everything in one set-top box.
You can integrate all the streaming services on Roku devices in New Zealand. Similarly, using a VPN like ExpressVPN, you can access streaming services like BBC iPlayer and integrate them into a Roku device.
Getting BBC iPlayer on Roku in New Zealand may require work, but once it’s done, you can enjoy all the content from your home in New Zealand.
Once you have accessed BBC iPlayer, you can get other services like BBC Radio, BBC One, and BBC Four and watch Fixing Up Christmas, Host, Pawn Sacrifice, Apocalypse Now: Final Cut, and Baking All the Way in New Zealand.